Surfski for no-wind days

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Surfski for no-wind days

Post by KUS »

I am intrigued http://surfski.com.au/evolution.php A man can't have enough toys :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

looks like regression to me, you already learned sailing stand up why sit on your butt to surf?
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Called paddleski's in South Africa these are popular there. The champion (many years ago) Kola Le Roux marketed Kolaski paddle ski's or Surf Ski's. They are fun and easier in big surf than kayaks because there is nothing to fill up with water when you get tossed.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

downwind dave wrote:you already learned sailing stand up why sit on your butt to surf?
Cuz I like being warm, getting to the action faster and more often and prefer paddling to being shark bait ....maybe :oops:

Versatility is also important, tough to place a crab trap with a surfboard and maybe stay dry as well :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!

TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

do you have to wear a suit like this guy...http://surfski.com.au/gallery/main.php? ... alNumber=1

I am not sure I am into the same scene as our friend Jake is... :lol:

I agree with DWD.
Give'R
morewind

Post by morewind »

Kus: I know a guy in qualicum beach who has a ski. I'll send him a link to this discussion -- he might be interesting in selling it?
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

use the paddle to beat off aggressive and wave hogging surfers.

You guys get a lot of surf at JR when there's no wind? I just wonder how much you would really use this thing? I bought a brand new beginner surf board two years ago and have only used it twice. Kiting is way more fun ...
Signature Block.
Cindy

Surfski is great!

Post by Cindy »

Hi Guys
There are lots of paddle crafts to use in no-low wind days, from outriggers to surfskis. However, be warned, these boats are pretty tippy by comparison to something like a sea kayak. I own a reasonably stable surfski and I still manage to fall out of it a lot, but the upside is that self-rescue is really easy.

The real fun in surfskis though is in the surfing and locally, this means you need wind. You don't want as much wind as needed for windsurfing/kiteboarding, but a nice 15-18 knots in the right direction can generate some real fun off the Harbour mouth out by the oil cans.

Another warning: aside from falling out, you will get wet since you are sitting in an open "bucket" rather than a closed off cockpit...your ass still gets mighty wet.

There is a fairly active surfski community that runs out my paddling club, Ocean River Paddling Club. Some boats are for sale out of Ocean River Sports (demos available too).

Kus...if you want to try my boat out some time, just let me know...I suggest a wetsuit.

Cheers
Cindy
Cindy

Kus's original url

Post by Cindy »

That isn't a surfski...it is a waveski

Here is a surfski

http://www.huki.com/store/

Too many boats, so little time.

Cindy
morewind

Post by morewind »

I tried out a waveski at JR about 5 years ago on a small 3' day. It was fairly easy to figure out, no problem getting rides. The challenge was to stay upright. Once I got flipped, it was back to the beach. You're buckled in so you should be able to roll it back upright like a kayak.

Compared to surfing you'd get way more rides, but I'm not sure a waveski would be too welcome in the good breaks. You'd likely be playing in the dumpy waves with the kayakers?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

surfski :?: I just went by their website address, etc. Yeah, wet ass, story of my life :roll: interested in your boat now tho Cindy, maybe sometime I'll observe.

As far as soooo many boats, so little time, I'm eagerly still awaiting the F-22 production to be finished. http://www.f-boat.com/pages/trimarans/F-22.html
Soooooon I hope :twisted: , just in time for retirement when I can't WS anymore cuz of my decrepid body. :oops:
Wish less, sail more!!

JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
AC

Jet surf boards

Post by AC »

I have access to three jet powered water toys,
jet surf board, Kyacks.
If you want more to check out

www.surfango.ca
There is three of them here in James Bay if you would like to try
they are about $3000