- Overview: Industrial Nitinat
- Launch Area: Just south of the Harbour Quay. You can throw your gear off the lookout on a high tide which is pretty cool unless you throw your stuff onto the rocks. If you do this you can rig on the grass which is nice. Downside is that you have to go back up wind to the boat launch to easily get out. There is a boat launch which is the windsurfing launch. You park and rig on the jetty beside the boat launch. You may have to swim past the jetty to get out. It is dangerous to limb and equipment to get caught in the pillons.
- Conditions: Thermal conditions. Fog on the coast and hot and sunny in Port Alberni is what you want. Look for big temperature/ pressure differences between Tofino and Port Alberni. Water is warmish, 3/4 in summer, and a salt/fresh water mix. Chop , max 2-3 feet.
- Seasons: May to September
- Wind Direction: South Usually up and down wind. It is windier in the middle and probably 5 knots windier than the readings.
- Typical Winds and # Sailing Days: 18-25 knots from 3 pm to 9 pm, best probably around 7pm . Sailable probably 4 days out of 7.
- General Hazards: Logs and wood debris are a major problem, not assisted by the sun being in your eyes on the way out. Go really slowly on your way out to figure out where these hazards are and then constantly monitor the situation. Speeding boaters on a mission are also a problem.
- Kiteboarding Hazards: Kiters need to launch from the other side of the harbour
- What to Wear: 4/3
- Skill Level: Intermediate to advanced. Need to be able to stay upwind as you need to get back to the jetty to get out, although you can exit over the big rip rap boulders on the quay if you have too. Probably smart to get up wind as soon as you get out so that if wind drops you can get back to the jetty.
- Tide: Doesn't seem to make much difference.
- Sources of Info:
- First Discovered By: ? Gwind probably knows, maybe it was him and Paul, John, Ozy, and crew in the 80's?
- Local Pubs: One right at the Quay
- Lore and Legend:
- Quirks: Friendly locals like to watch from their cars or from the Harbour Quay.
- Driving Directions: Turn left at the first entrance to Port Alberni once you get over the hump. Drive straight down the road til you get to the mill, hang a left and then just bear right til you see the old train station and then you should see the flag flapping at the Harbour Quay which has a restaurant and some other retailers and a nice lookout and a grassy area.
- Other Notes: