Olympic sailing class considerations

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

WOW! The designers must be pulling their hair out! They either need lots of upwind or none of it, not just under a fifth of the course. That would mean that we will need retractable fins. I tell you they want to see more CRASHES! and that will certainly do it. :twisted:
curses - foiled again!
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Maybe this aside is closer to the truth than intended: "Hell while we are at it lets chuck some inflatables in the the way and make it a boarder cross!"

Because let's be honest ... that would make for great TV. And it would be pretty fun to do too, despite being less "pure" in a racing sense ... maybe more X-Games style than Olympics.

I think kiting's inclusion in the olympics is less about the pinnacle of athleticism and more about bringing in the sexy beast. Is beach volleyball really a discipline separate from regular volleyball? Or is it more about having good looking people get sweaty and sandy in skimpy outfits?

Olympics want sizzle ... and kiting will bring more thrills and spills than one-design windsurfing (yawn). But it might not be about the racing as much as the circus sideshow aspect?

Hate to say it, but there it is. And in looking at the positives, it'll still be fun to compete in and fun to watch.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Keep in mind that there`s a 6 knot wind minimum. They have it this low because they HAVE to hold races. They won`t wait around for 20 knots and possibly have no event.
Vik

Post by Vik »

juandesooka wrote: I think kiting's inclusion in the olympics is less about the pinnacle of athleticism and more about bringing in the sexy beast. Is beach volleyball really a discipline separate from regular volleyball? Or is it more about having good looking people get sweaty and sandy in skimpy outfits?
I hear you. Those kiters are damn sexy. I don't blame the IOC or TV folks... :wink: :twisted:
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

JL: good video. I've seen that thread on kiteforum.com, I'm impressed that whoever compiled this focused on gals who kite, rather than just the beach bikini shots. This may be helpful in my ongoing propaganda campaign to entice my wife and daughters to give kiting a try.
JL

Post by JL »

I think you should show them handsome kite Men Instead John :P
Thermals are good.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

yeah right, where would we find any of those? ;-)
JL

Post by JL »

Let the Girls deal with that :roll:
Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

Sorry about drifting this thread. :? Here is the latest from the I.K.A. : http://www.internationalkiteboarding.or ... Itemid=266 ... How about ?: https://vimeo.com/17754852
Thermals are good.
KayakDoc

Post by KayakDoc »

I peeked at the “chika” video. The women looked sooooo pale and the gear was way out of date. I might be getting spoiled rotten here in Maui. Must be time to leave.
KayakDoc

Post by KayakDoc »

I believe this link is the latest IKA update: http://www.internationalkiteboarding.or ... Itemid=102. It looks like ISAF and IKA are “sharing the sheets” regarding equipment. The gloves are off for equipment design (with some minor restrictions). I welcome this as far reaching. These changes have been put in place very recently and indicate a significant move forward for ISAF accepting Kiting as the latest Olympic addition. No problem as long as Kiting survives this honeymoon period.
Last edited by KayakDoc on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JL

Post by JL »

No, your doing great Phil. I was being silly & the video was 6 years old AND just shots of older kite mags :P Seriously, thanks for the link 8) p.s. Greg is cruising nicely on your old race board :!:
Thermals are good.
KayakDoc

Post by KayakDoc »

Thanks JL. I was getting worried for a second.

With the head spinning IKA rule changes I am starting to really miss that race board.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

--
Last edited by KUS on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....