Olympic sailing class considerations

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

ok Mark. Later today? Suitable here at Gordon's now and I can drop work any time.
curses - foiled again!
mark atkins

Post by mark atkins »

Hey Greg,
Totally getting worked over at work...
With any luck, I'll hit Kook St. @ 5pm.
If the wind holds up, it might be 6M weather for me, in which case, I'll probably leave the raceboard in the van given my novice abilities!!
Later this week is looking good though so let's keep in touch...
Cheers,
Mark.

These are the Canadian men competing in the World's in Cagliari, Spain.
Stefano Rista
Colin Ernst
Kyle Touhey
Andy Wong
Mark Godley
Zack P

and they are all racers from Squamish apparently!
curses - foiled again!
KayakDoc

Post by KayakDoc »

Most of the guys on the list are BC mainland guys that race at Squamish. Stefano Rista did very well at Squamish. He is the 2012 Canadian National Champion. Taking nothing away from Stefano’s performance, but it must help having one of the best kite race fin designers as your older brother.

Adam Koch did very well at the European Championships this past week. He won every race. Bryan Lake was a surprisingly disappointing forth. Only two days of racing and light winds might have contributed. http://sailwave.com/results/KTE2012France.html

Johnny Heineken still has to be the odds on favorite for the worlds.

Seeing lots of Kite Race gear development in Maui (mostly kites).
KayakDoc

Post by KayakDoc »

Looks like things are back to normal. Johnny Heineken is still the odds on favorite, but Adam Koch and Bryan Lake are back in the mix. Five Canadians made the Gold Medal Round. This is fantastic!!! The real event starts tomorrow with the first of two days of racing to determine the World Champions. Anyone interested can find the results for the women and the men, for the preliminary rounds, here. - http://www.kitecagliari.com/risultati.php
JL

Post by JL »

http://youtu.be/grLCi71P2hk 8) Be sure & select HD & full screen . Be warned: Cheesy announcing :P
Thermals are good.

wow what a great international mix-up of rankings. Doc can you explain why some finalists have designations as Master, other GrandMaster and some no designation? Was this the fleet they chose upon their registration or was it earned? or is this age related seeing that Alex AGUERA is Grandmaster?
curses - foiled again!
KayakDoc

Post by KayakDoc »

Pasta, Master I believe is over 35 and Grand Master is over 45. ISAF publishes each competitors birthdate. Notice it in the results...kind of odd. I suspect the seeding was based on the IKO rankings where the top three were sorted into three different groups and then the next three sorted into these three different groups etc. I do not know what the second day group shuffle was about, but each new race day begins with a meeting to inform the competitors of any changes that will be coming during this race day. These meetings also allow the competitors to voice their concerns and my experience at Squamish was that the race committee really listened to and acted on these concerns. I suspect this took place at the world’s and wind conditions coupled to race results were addressed and some changes allowed for the top ranked racers to reestablish their placing for the Gold Medal Round.

Of interest (at least to me) is the competitor equipment list posted on the event site page. Lot’s of North boards. Kites were all over the place, but as Christina noted, the top placers equipment list will be the one of interest (Mike’s Lab, Ozone, Tectonic/Rista I suspect).
KayakDoc

Post by KayakDoc »

Fun video JL. Looked a lot like Cook Street to me. heeheehee
Vik

Post by Vik »

Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
KayakDoc

World's Results

Post by KayakDoc »

Final results from the World's. Johnny as expected. Adam must be getting a little frustrated, as he seems to get real close to Johnny, but no cigar. Great news about Erica. The Heinekens are great people and deserve these wins, although I hear Steph is a wonderful ambassador for the sport.

If anyone hears anything about wind conditions for the last two days at the World’s please post.

MALE RANKING MEDAL RACE
John Heineken (USA), 1-2-1, punti 4
Adam Koch (USA), 3-1-2, 6
Julien Kerneur (FRA), 6-3-4, 13
Riccardo Andrea Leccese (ITA), 2-6-5, 13
Maxime Nocher (FRA), 7-4-3, 14
Bryan Lake (USA), 5-5-6, 16
Florian Gruber (GER), 4-8-7-,19
Olivier Dansin (FRA), 8-7-9, 24
Dave Robertson (NZL), 9-9-8, 26
Wilson Veloso (BRA), 10-10-10, 30

FEMALE RANKING MEDAL RACE
Erika  Heineken (USA), punti 4
Steph Bridge (GB), 5
Caroline Adrien (FRA), 10
Nayara Licariao (BRA), 13
Christine Boenniger (GER), 15
Elena Kalinina (RUS), 19
Katja Roose (NED), 22
Alice Brunacci (ITA), 30
Lilian De Geus (NED), 31
Justina Sellers (NZL), 32
KayakDoc

Canadian Results from the World's

Post by KayakDoc »

Seven Canadian men and two Canadian women competing at the World’s is a good showing. Five in the Gold Medal round is very respectable. This is a very good start for the march to Rio!

Canadian men results from the Gold Medal Round
(This is the second last round prior to the top ten competing for the Gold Medal. The top 51 competitors competed in this round)

20. Adam Vance - Grand Master (2nd)
23. Stefano Rista - Master (5th)
37. Kyle Touhey
39. Colin Ernst - Master (12th)
49. Andrew Wong

Canadian men results from the Silver Medal Round (This is the group from 52nd through 102nd)

22. Zachary Plavsic

Canadian men results from the Bronze Medal Round
(This is the group from 103rd through 153rd)

39. Mark Godley - Grand Master

Canadian women results.

Forty-two women competed at the worlds. The entire group competed in all rounds until the final 10 competed for the Gold Medal.

Canadian women results.

23. Jessica Sickinger
32. Catherine Dufour
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.

yeahaw! Heartbreaking wipeout by Erica. The former RS-X sailors are a force to recon with already! I think this could/should be live streamed in the near future or even televised as I think it will be fabulously entertaining! These video shorts are fun to watch.
curses - foiled again!

brother sister win worlds! this just makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over!
http://www.internationalkiteboarding.or ... Itemid=140
curses - foiled again!