Best wishes to Vic...latest news

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

I've just heard the sad news that Vic is very sick and has been moved to a hospice in Victoria. My thoughts are with him and his family. He's a Nitinat institution!
I wish my TOW was longer!
bwd
Developer
Developer

Our thoughts are with you Vic!

Post by bwd »

Thank you mtm. That is very sad news. My thoughts are with you Vic. I had a look through some of Vic's great photos in the gallery this morning. He always captured the lake so well. Best wishes to you and your family.

more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

He was amazing to have kept going to the lake and sailing sometimes the last few years given how sick he really was. He was one very tough old dude! Anyone got some of him sailing to add to the pics? [edit, thanks Kus and others]

He got me waterstarting with confidence - and there is no bigger gift for a windsurfer! And his fireside was always full of interesting people and had room on the benches for one or two more. He had an amazing knowledge of the plants, mushrooms, and wind and weather at Nitinat.

One of my favourite stories of Vic was learning about the Nat's thermal wind. All one morning we sat on the beach, teased by zephyrs and catspaws. Each sign of whitecaps was greated by "maybe thats the thermal starting" and Vic would answer "No, not yet".

Finally, the lake is glassy calm and Vic pipes up "There's the thermal starting. If you go and get your wetsuit on it will be sailable by the time your ready". I looked at him with disbelief and asked how he knew. He said "listen". I listened, and there was the faint sigh of wind in the treetops. He saw me pick this up and then told me how the thermal always comes in at a high elevation before it drops to lake level a few minutes later. And of course he was right. That sort of detailed local knowledge, and method of teaching so you wouldn't forget, was typical of Vic.

He'll never be forgotten.
Morley Eldridge
Last edited by more force 4 on Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Here is some contact info. Hopefully this is ok to post.

From Mortontoemike: Vic's daughter, Terri Evans (), sent a message around to some of the Nitinat sailors about her Dad:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi everyone,
Some of you I've met before, some of you not, but I thought I should let you all know that my father (Vic Evans) is nearing the end of his life. He has been going slowly downhill for months but his cancer has progressed rapidly the last few weeks. He went into hospice yesterday afternoon and is being made comfortable. He has been on morphine for the last couple of weeks while we tried to care for him at home, but it got to the point where we could no longer provide adequate care on our own. My Mom has been a huge help, she's been over here nearly every day. You all mean a great deal to my father, you are his second family. I am sorry about the group email, I know its impersonal but there is a lot of people to contact and I don't have the time to write individually.
Anyway, if you have any questions or anything you can call my Mom at 250-384-5991, or my cell 250-589-8757; you can also call Dad's phone, one of us is almost always here. You can also email me back at this address and I will try to reply as soon as possible.
I will try to keep you all updated on the situation.

Take Care
Terri Evans
JL

Post by JL »

Thanks for all the great photos, fires & conversation Vic. From Jim, Kate, Colleen & Grayson...With memories of Dexter & Suzy...
Last edited by JL on Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thermals are good.
Barb W

Vic

Post by Barb W »

Bye Vic, you will be missed. I'll never forget the good times, great advise, and your home made wine. I hope you are comfortable and I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts.
Barb and Cayoosh
JAMES HIHO

VIC

Post by JAMES HIHO »

Vic , thank you for all of the help and advice over the years.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
I hope you find a good sailing site .
All the best , JAMES C.
MY HEART BEATS , MY SOUL SOARS , I AM
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

My good old friend- the evening fires, the chats with the little ones-they remember as you know, the beach conversations and chuckles, your amazing tenacity and zest for life within mom nature I can only aspire to. And who really knew about those frogs or mushrooms anyway? I am truly grateful for our seasons together at the oasis, it won't be the same place. My thoughts are with you and yours. Sail hard and FAST!

We shall celebrate again. Markus
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
windsurf247

the mayor

Post by windsurf247 »

It was a pleasure to have known you Vic. You are truly an inspiration to both young and old. I'm sure your adventures at the lake will be fodder for many a campfire story. You will be missed by all, but never forgotten.
Keep on sailin :D
Rob, Sandra, Olivia and Sam.
bricktop

Farewell

Post by bricktop »

Vic told us of his Cancer some time ago, and I was truly amazed that he continued to stay up at Nitnaht. I took the moment and considered that he could not have picked a better spot to hang out in his final months.

Our first meeting with Vic was in Sept of 2000 when we made our way up to the lake after hearing that it would be a good place to learn how the wind works. We met Vic on the trail to the River and he took the time to give us some pointers about Nitnaht and how it got to be such a divine place to play in. His parting words were" Don't worry about the bear scats on the beach, it's the Cougers stalking you that you should be concerned about" he said that as he walked away chuckling!
Of course we laughed and then proceeded to make a very noisy path to the river.

Rest in Peace Vic, and If there is a heaven perhaps you were there all along at Nitnaht lake, BC Canada.

Gerry & Tammie
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

Vic was a great friend, mentor, and inspiration. He was a testimony to the fact that windsurfing is a life-long passion not just a young mans game. Seeing him convinced me that I could learn the sport late in life and have many years of joy being free on the water. Thanks for that Vic.

I always got a kick out of his devotion to the white plastic Vic-O-meter which was tied to a stick - propped up with some rocks on the beach at Nitinat. Vic had identified the 15 kts point in magic marker on the side of the piece of white plastic and he wouldn't bother wasting his energy until the wind encouraged it past that point.

I'll miss his campfires which provided the warmth of both fire and friendship after the sun went down.

Goodbye old friend. See you on the water ...
I wish my TOW was longer!
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Safe journeys Vic,

As expressed by many, you will be missed. I believe your spirit and enthusiasm will carry on in the magic that is Nitinaht, and your spot will be imortalized as "Vic's" spot. Needless to say my memories of your time out here are many and fond. Take care and safe journeys.

Dale Moffatt
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
asscrack

My friend Vic

Post by asscrack »

Always smiling,always aware,tuff old bugger,you there.Life is sometimes cruel,sometimes sweet.By the fire, always a treat.Embers glow,and sparks show, a reflection in your old eyes.That wise old sparkel,that shit eating grin.That roaring laugh,the living barometer of the Sacred Spot.I will always think of you,when i swim.When i sit,sweating in.Old friend,you will be missed,but I know I will see you again.And hear your laugh when you bring the wind. John
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING and Life is a beach
Windsurfish

We'll miss you

Post by Windsurfish »

My deepest sympathies to the family for your loss. As a relative newcomer to the Nitinaht scene (+4 yrs), I have many great memories of Vic and our conversations. Vic always seemed to find the owner of misplaced gear, and acted as a glue in the site, bringing people together at his fire, at the "Vic site", as it will be known for a long time. Once, It was Vic, myself and two others from Vancouver at the lake in the early spring. I had decided the wind was done for the day. Vic convinced me otherwise, and against my better judgement, I left one sail rigged, stayed in my suit and packed up the rest. Sure enough, in 20 minutes, the wind came up and brought the plastic wind meter into the Smile zone - and raged for 2 more hours. I was the only one out on the water - I was late getting home, but learned "I have a lot to learn".... Thanks Vic, wherever you are, you will be missed.

Chris Gill